To Make a Donation to the 2016 team

Please visit my fundraising page to make a donation to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (www.runDFMC.org/2018/jennies). Please help me reach my goal of $50,000 to fund important basic cancer research! With your support, we have already provided over $366,000 to Dana-Farber researchers over the past 9 years. Please give as generously as your means allow!

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year, New DFMC Challenge



Happy New Year!  I hope this January finds you happy and well, and ready to challenge the New Year.   For me, the beginning of the year brings about the excitement and mission of training for the 2012 Boston Marathon in an effort to raise funds for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.  I will be running again as a member of the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge (DFMC) team, and I would be grateful for your support of this respected and meaningful cause. 
Running the marathon for the DFMC to raise valuable funds for innovative cancer treatment is an incredibly personal and important experience.  I take these steps to honor my sisters and brother, Molly, Mary and John, who devastatingly lost their lives to cancer as young adults.  The DFMC allows me the opportunity to pay tribute to their memories, their lives, their strength, their will, and the beauty they brought to the world, while simultaneously helping to better the future of all cancer patients by raising funds for the Barr Program at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. And to be honest, the entire experience helps me do some healing, too.  It is unfathomable to me that my siblings are not here with us today, and their very absence is what propels to me to continue.  Molly, Mary and John believed in fighting the good fight and they never gave up on themselves and their family, nor did they stop doing their part to improve the future of cancer patients.  I will not give up on them, and am committed to doing what I can to assist in finding new treatments and eventually a cure. 
Every cent of your gift – a full 100 percent-  goes directly to funding research through the Claudia Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research at Dana-Farber, widely recognized as one of the most successful programs of its kind.  Based on a rigorous and highly selective process, the Barr Program funds the brightest scientists making basic research discoveries that are transforming cancer treatment.  These breakthroughs are resulting in improved survival rates and quality of life for thousands of patients everywhere.  Many of you have been ongoing supporters of my participation in the marathon for the past 3 years, and it is because of your unfailing generosity that I am able to once again take part.
We unfortunately, yet surely, live in a world where 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will receive a cancer diagnosis in their lifetime, so taking steps now to help find a cure will be beneficial to us all in the future.  Suffice it to say, there are many, many others who I also run to recognize including my aunts and grandmothers, my mother-in-law, my husband’s aunt, many friends and their loved ones.  I run for daughters, brothers, cousins, wives, and fathers.  I run for our kids and for our future.  Please let me know if there is someone you would like me to recognize and I would be privileged to honor them during the marathon.
Making an online gift is easy.  Just visit www.runDFMC.org/2012/jennies and follow the link to make a gift.  You can also send a check made out to the Dana Farber Marathon Challenge to me at home (let me know if you need the address).  Thank you in advance for your kindness and support.  I can’t imagine not taking these steps in tribute to Molly, Mary and John, and it would not be possible without your generosity.   Please know how much this means to me and my family.  With your help, we are truly making a difference.   A cancer diagnosis can change your world.  We, together, can change how cancer affects our world.  
Be good.  Be Strong.
Kindly,
Jennie Firth Sheridan

No comments:

Post a Comment