To Make a Donation to the 2016 team

Please visit my fundraising page to make a donation to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (www.runDFMC.org/2018/jennies). Please help me reach my goal of $50,000 to fund important basic cancer research! With your support, we have already provided over $366,000 to Dana-Farber researchers over the past 9 years. Please give as generously as your means allow!

Saturday, December 31, 2016

A New Year, and a big goal


 Happy New Year!  I hope this message finds you well and looking forward to 2017 with great hope.

I was reminded this morning via Facebook of a quote I shared 3 years ago, and after a great long training run with friends followed by much needed time spent cleaning and purging closets at home, I am ready to look towards the New Year and my 9th year running to raise funds for innovative cancer research. 

"What grief is, is a form of love, but with the loved one gone.  So the work of grief is to find a new form for that love, to find a new expression for it, a new commitment, a way to honor that love."  -John Woodall
 In the fall of 2008, I applied to run the Boston Marathon to raise money for research at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.  My sister, Molly, had passed away in February and less than a month later, my brother experienced a recurrence of the brain tumor that had been clear for over 6 years.  At the same time, my sister, Mary, was in the midst of ongoing treatment and follow-up for metastatic melanoma.  I was searching to find an expression of the love I hold for my family, and I found a way to honor them by participating with the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge team.
Over the past 9 years, we [our incredibly generous and supportive network of family and friends] have gifted over $300,000 to the brilliant scientists in the labs at Dana-Farber who are completing innovative and life-changing research that will change the future of cancer.  When I first signed up, I never could have expected such a outpouring over the years, but I also never dreamed of losing 3 siblings in 3 years to cancer.  Every single dollar of every single donation over the years has gone directly into the labs, and that has an impact of which we should all be very proud as this effort is truly one of many people coming together.
While great work has been done and cancer care has made incredible strides in the past 9 years, there is still work to be done.  There are many survivors around us who have benefited from these advances, yet there are families every day who get news of a new or recurring diagnosis.  There are miles to be run, dollars to be raised, ideas to be tested, and new treatments to be discovered.
And so again, I humbly ask for your support as I continue my training towards April 17 and the 2017 Boston Marathon.  I've set my goal higher than it's ever been at $50,000, because I believe these dollars to be vital and imperative to funding critical scientific studies at Dana-Farber.  And I believe we can reach that goal.  To make an online gift, please visit www.runDFMC.org/2017/jennies or if you prefer, you can send a check payable to DFMC to me at home (let me know if you need my address). Please let me know if there is someone I can honor for you as I run.
It is because of you all that I am inspired to keep running.  I don't know how long these legs will be able to run, but I know my heart won't give up on finding a cure.  The cost for so many is too great.  It's for all of us that I run.  I wish you all happiness, health and much laughter in the New Year.  Thank you so very much for your continued generosity and support.  be good. be strong.
With gratitude,
Jennie

To learn more about the Barr Program:
http://www.rundfmc.org/faf/home/ccp.asp?ievent=1162260&ccp=674258

No comments:

Post a Comment